I’ve noticed that people who are pack rats like to put things in many places throughout the house. Basements, closets, crawlspaces, and spare rooms in a home are just a few examples. A garage is also a favorite storage place used by individuals who never seem to throw anything away. Whether you’re a pack rat or not, sometimes it’s difficult to get rid of certain items that are taking up space in the garage. They may have sentimental value, or perhaps you think an item will be used sometime in the future. I thought I would use this week’s blog to offer some suggestions on how to get rid of unnecessary items in a garage.
Five Tips to Help You Rid Your Garage of Unnecessary Items
1. Consider How You Want to Use the Space in Your Garage: Some people want to have enough room to put two cars in their garage, while others want to use the space as a workshop. Determining how you want to utilize your garage gives you a goal as you begin to dispose of various items. As you deliberate on whether to get rid of an item, try to focus on your new plans for the garage space once the clutter is gone.
2. Take a Good Look at the Things in Your Garage: If you have items in your garage that haven’t been used in months or years, then it’s time to get rid of them. Boxes of used clothing, discarded appliances, books, and old magazines are just a few examples. It’s helpful to look at each item in your garage and think of the last time you used it. Chances are good that if you haven’t used an item in six months, it’s time to get rid of it by either donating it or pitching it.
3. Make Arrangements to Donate Large Items: If you have chairs, a sofa, a table, or other furnishings taking up space in your garage, you can donate them to a local charity. Of course, they must be in good condition. I recommend that you go with a charity that offers to pick up the donated furnishings.
4. Make Plans to Drop Off Donations: Set aside a particular day and time to drop off the clothing, books, appliances, and other items that you clear out of your garage. Having a plan can help you to follow through with getting rid of these items before you begin to come up with reasons why you should keep X, Y, and Z.
5. Clean Out the Garage on Garbage Pickup Day. By cleaning the clutter out of your garage on garbage pickup day, you will have very little time to retrieve items from the trash cans. Once the trash is gone from the curb, you won’t be able to entertain any second thoughts about what you pitched.
I hope these suggestions help you to clear away the unnecessary items in your garage. Your reward will come when you eliminate the creeping clutter and get your garage back! Thanks for reading. – Alan