What image comes to mind when you picture a garage? Most people think of a garage as a place to store items both large and small. Consider some of the items found in a typical garage: You may think of things like a car, a lawn mower, a collection of tools, garbage cans, and bicycles, along with a couple of bottles of motor oil. Those are all reasonable answers. While most people think of their garage as a convenient storage place, others look at their garage in a whole different way. They may see their garage as a place to enjoy a favorite hobby or as extra living space. For my blog this week, I thought I’d take a look inside a few non-typical garages. Enjoy!
Five Strange Garage Conversions
- Garage Turned Bowling Alley: Imagine getting a perfect strike in your own garage. This owner converted his garage into a one-lane bowling alley while leaving some extra space to store some necessary items. With overhead lighting, he can enjoy ten frames at any time of the night or day.
- A Mini-Home: What started out as a simple structure has become a small dream home for this garage owner. She added onto a small garage, creating a kitchen, a loft bedroom, a bathroom, and a sitting room. This converted garage even has an inviting fireplace. By the way, if you own a great fireplace like this one, I recommend that you always have hot chocolate available for unexpected visitors. Unique artwork, stylish furnishings, and an airy atmosphere all serve to make this former garage a comfortable space to live.
- A Garage for a Skateboarding Enthusiast: There’s no room for cars here! This converted garage features a wooden skateboard ramp that extends across the floor. It’s perfect for practicing skateboarding moves at any time of the day, rain or shine. There is space left over for storing skateboards and safety equipment.
- A Garage Becomes a Gymnasium: Take a look at a garage that is a paradise for someone who loves to work up a sweat. This owner can do some tumbling on the mats, swing on the rings, or even climb on the monkey bars. Plus, the hardwood floor makes it the perfect place for a game of basketball. The large windows make it a pleasant environment for a round of exercise.
- A Garage Featuring an Indoor Ice Rink: This owner is only steps away from a private ice rink set up in the garage. A sheet of ice makes it easy to lace up a pair of skates and take advantage of some daily ice hockey or figure-skating practice. Kids and adults can enjoy ice-skating during any season of the year.
Today, an owner has lots of options when it comes to the purpose of their garage. These five owners have proven that there’s no limit to the creative and practical uses for a garage. I hope this inspires you to think about your garage in a whole new way. Thanks for reading. – Alan